The page you are visiting was formerly part of the Which? University website, but is now being provided by The Uni Guide — part of The Student Room. For more information please click here.

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more

What A-levels do you need to study a building or construction degree?

If you’re thinking of studying a building or construction-related degree at university, make sure your A-level line-up ticks admissions tutors’ boxes…

Whether you want to study building services engineering, building surveying or construction management, many building degree courses require you to have A-levels (or equivalent) in maths or physics (or both).

Essential A-levels (or equivalent)

  • maths and/or physics (for building services engineering)

Useful A-levels (or equivalent)

  • maths
  • physics
  • technology
  • a science subject


Other typical A-levels taken by current building students

  • business studies
  • geography
  • IT

Take a look at individual courses in building services, surveying and construction management on The Uni Guide to find out the most popular subjects students studied before attending.

It's also worth noting that many degrees will be open to you whichever A-levels you choose. Some courses will be happy with a subject just at AS-level while others will be looking for the full A-level, so this is something to check before you finalise your A-level choices in Year 12.

Watch now: How to choose your A-levels


Similar subject areas...

  • architecture
  • management
  • quantity surveying
  • architectural engineering

Where could your A-levels take you?

Enter your A-level choices below to find out

    Add another subject

Search The Uni Guide

Find further advice or search for information on a course or university