10 unusual degree courses
Has your university course search hit a brick wall? Be inspired by some of these weird and wonderful degree courses...
1. Fashion bags & accessories | University of the Arts LondonCALLING ALL HANDBAG ADDICTS! It’s time to make space in your wardrobe.
Sign up to this degree and you can divulge in three years of designing and developing beautiful bags. This fashionable course specialises in manufacturing leatherware and successful students have gone on to design for major names like Gucci and Chanel.
What degree, course or subject should I study at university?
2. Contemporary circus and physical theatre | Bath Spa UniversitySearching for a course that actively supports clowning around? Park up your tiny unicycle and stop right there. This enjoyable degree provides you with the chance to integrate physical circus skills with theatrical performance. Supported by Circomedia, you'll get to run away with the circus as some modules involve joining a professional on-tour troupe.
3. Baking science and technology | London South Bank UniversityThis food technology degree is made up of essays, exams and practical work to get you on track for managing a successful bakery business. You'll learn how to bake the perfect loaf and discover all the technical bits behind getting the most from your dough.
Anyone for cake?
4. Surf science and technology | Cornwall CollegeGood news – if you're not very good at riding waves, actual surfing isn't required for this degree. It's more academic than practical, so you'll get to grips with other stuff like the business side of surfing, coaching, surfboard design and environmental sciences.
You'll also get to hang out on the beach a lot!
5. Horse management | Royal Agricultural UniversityHold your horses – we've found the perfect degree for lovers of all things equine. This academic business course has a proven track record for graduates going on to secure high profile positions in the thoroughbred and sports horse industries; from training and breeding, to racecourse and enterprise management.
Grab your GoPro, it's adventure time! You get to utilise the beautiful remote Welsh locations you're studying in, whilst learning extreme camera techniques, cinematography skills and conservation issues that affect filmmaking.
6. Adventure filmmaking | University of Wales Trinity Saint David
There's never a dull moment on this daring degree course.
7. Pilot studies | University of SalfordReach for the skies with this fantastic degree. You'll follow a structured pilot training programme and learn about aircraft design. Your flying hours will clock up you’ll be piloting solo by the end of your first year. Work experience is encouraged and most graduates go on to become pilots with the aviation companies who they've trained with.
8. Wine production | Plumpton CollegeStudents and drink have always been associated – but not quite in this way. This unique course will equip you with a range of technical, scientific and management skills to become a professional vine grower and winemaker.
Cheers to that!
9. Ethical hacking | Abertay UniversityLearn how to stop the next deadly cyber attack on this study programme. Launched in 2006, this degree was the first of its kind, but is becoming increasingly relevant. The programme teaches students how to break systems and circumvent security defences (a bit like teaching a police officer how to commit a crime, so they know what to look for to solve it!).
Current cyber security graduates are being snatched up by thousands of major global companies, so it’s not surprising this course has gone viral so to speak.
10. DJ practice | University of Central LancashireGet your decks out, we’ve quite possibly found the coolest degree in the world. This course combines technical training from industry experts with academic music learning.
You'll be lectured by some DJ gurus and get to be hands-on with the latest technology. Learn DJing, production, remixing and business management skills.
Have a course in mind? Search and see what comes up...