10 unusual degree courses
Has your university course search hit a brick wall? Be inspired by some of these weird and wonderful degree courses...
1. Cordwainers Fashion Bags and Accessories: Product Design and Innovation | University of the Arts LondonCalling all handbag addicts: it’s time to make space in your wardrobe.
Sign up to this degree and you can enjoy three years of designing and developing beautiful accessories. This fashionable course specialises in manufacturing leatherware and successful students have gone on to design for major names like Gucci and Chanel.
(And in case you were wondering, a cordwainer is someone who makes shoes from new leather. Who knew!)
2. Contemporary Circus and Physical Theatre | Bath Spa UniversitySearching for a course that actively supports clowning around? Park up your tiny unicycle and stop right there. This enjoyable degree provides you with the chance to integrate physical circus skills with theatrical performance.
Supported by Circomedia, you'll get to run away with the circus as students often get the opportunity to perform at festivals and with professional troupes.
3. Baking and Pastry Technology | London South Bank UniversityThis food technology degree is made up of essays, exams and practical work to get you on track for managing a successful bakery business. You'll learn how to bake the perfect loaf and discover all the technical bits behind getting the most from your dough.
Anyone for cake?
4. Surf Science | Cornwall CollegeWhile this degree may be an acedemic one that doesn't involve actual surfing, its surfer-friendly location means you'll have plenty of opportunity to ride the waves during your downtime.
Students get to grips with stuff like the business side of surfing, coaching, surfboard design and environmental sciences.
5. Bloodstock and Performance Horse management | Royal Agricultural UniversityHold your horses – we've found the perfect degree for lovers of all things equine. This academic business course has a proven track record for graduates going on to secure high-profile positions in the thoroughbred and sports horse industries; from training and breeding, to racecourse and enterprise management.
- Read more: first and insurance choices, explained
6. Adventure Filmmaking | University of Wales Trinity Saint DavidGrab your GoPro, it's adventure time! You get to utilise the beautiful remote Welsh locations you're studying in, whilst learning extreme sports camera techniques and cinematography and prost-production skills.
There's never a dull moment on this daring degree course.
7. Aircraft Engineering with Pilot Studies | University of SalfordReach for the skies with this fantastic degree. You'll learn all about aircraft engineering, as well as having the option to take a structured pilot training programme. Graduates have gone on to roles that range from supporting air traffic control to aircraft maintenance and engineering.
8. Wine production | Plumpton CollegeStudents and alcohol have a long and rich association – but not quite like this. This unique course will equip you with a range of technical, scientific and management skills to become a professional vine grower and winemaker.
Cheers to that!
9. Ethical hacking | Abertay UniversityLearn how to stop the next deadly cyber attack on this cutting-edge degree. Launched in 2006, this degree was the first of its kind, and demand for ethical hackers and cyber security specialists has been on the rise year-on-year ever since.
The programme teaches students how to break systems and circumvent security defences (a bit like teaching a police officer how to commit a crime, so they know what to look for to solve it!).
- Read more: how to write your university application
10. Music Production and DJ Performance | Point Blank Music SchoolGet your decks out, we’ve quite possibly found the coolest degree in the world. This course, which is validated by Middlesex University, offers technical training and music theory from industry experts alongside state-of-the-art facilities.
Have a different course in mind? Search and see what comes up...