Clearing 2021: five ways The Uni Guide can make your life easier
Going through Ucas Clearing? We can help you make the right course and university decision, fast. Find out how we can help get you through the process.
So how can we help you through Clearing?
1. See what courses are out thereOnce you’ve found Clearing vacancies you’re interested in on Ucas, drop that course into our search to get a bundle of key stats and information, clearly laid-out in one place – no need to open a dozen tabs to flick back and forth between.
These key stats include:
- Full entry requirements Remember, you can tailor your search to your predicted or final grades, so you’re only presented with courses you can realistically apply to successfully.
- Modules and assessments These can vary from university to university, even if the course title is the same, completely changing the experience for a student.
- Student satisfaction ratings Both overall and for specific elements of students’ experience (eg facilities, feedback on coursework etc).
- Graduate prospects and salaries Both short and long-term.
- Student demographics Who you’ll study alongside, including what they go on to achieve.
Plus lots more! Search for a course and start getting to grips with your degree course possibilities.
2. Find alternative subjects or coursesIf you've got your heart set on going to university this year, you might need to think a little more creatively where your choice of course is concerned. Our subject guides will help you explore your options, including similar courses and popular combination courses in your subject area.
If you’re completely re-thinking the subject you want to study, you can use our A-level Explorer to see the full breadth of subject options available to you, based on what students studying the same A-levels went on to study.
While it’s difficult to switch from maths to history (because they’re so different), it may be more reasonable to apply to a statistics course.
3. Shortlist and compare coursesHit 'Shortlist' on the courses you're interested in so you can return to them later (just go to the 'My shortlist' tab).
This will make it easier to keep track of all the courses that catch your eye. Then you can compare all your shortlisted courses in one place and see key course stats side-by-side, including average graduate salary and student satisfaction scores, to choose the ones you want to take the time to call in Clearing.
4. Get the lowdown on the uniBecause you won’t be studying the entire time, our university profiles feature more key stats to give you a taste of life as a student at a specific university; these include stats and comments you won’t necessarily find in their official prospectus or on their website.
As part of our annual survey each year, we’ve quizzed thousands of undergrads about every aspect of their uni, from the quality of accommodation to the nightlife.
Speaking of which, we’ve rated universities for their extracurricular scenes and activities. This includes nightlife, but also extends to student union activities, creative scene, political scene and sports scene. So no matter what you enjoy doing in your free time, you can see how well suited your uni is to keeping you entertained and inspired by way of clubs, societies, local events etc.
Plus, our uni profiles also show you where that university came in the three main league table rankings, side by side.
This is essential reading, especially if you won't make it to an open day before making your Clearing decision.
5. Explore your new home city (and what it might cost to live in)So you face moving to a town or city that’s the complete opposite end of where you thought you were heading? If the course is a perfect match, it might be worth the change of scenery.
Check out our city guides to learn more about your new home – we’ve highlighted 15 of the most popular student destinations. See how much you already know about these cities and what they’re famous for – you might learn something new. Our guides feature student comments about the area and what there is to do for fun, whether it’s a Friday night out or a quiet Sunday afternoon.
Don’t forget to check out our full results day and Clearing advice section, to help you prepare. We have tips on what to expect on the day, finding a Plan B, making a Clearing call and much more.
Or simply begin with our jargon-free Clearing survival guide if you’re not sure where to start.