Open day questions: creative arts students
Aspiring painter, illustrator, photographer or designer? Print out and use our list of open day questions when you're on a visit to a university or creative arts college.
About the course
- How much contact time do I get with my tutor / lecturers?
- What is the split between theory and practical work?
- What range of modules is available to me?
- Will there be any public presentations / exhibitions of my work?
- Do I get to specialise in my second or third year?
Equipment and facilities
- How much should I budget for the cost of materials and extras?
- Is there an on-campus shop to buy art supplies? Is this shop reasonably priced?
- How good are the printing facilities at the university / college?
- Is there studio space where I can work? How much time will I need to spend in the studio each week?
Placements and field trips
- Is there any opportunity for placements / field trips? Do I have to organise my own or will I have help?
- Is there chance for cross course collaboration or group work?
- Do companies take interns from this course?
- How many items of coursework are there?
- What is the split between exam / coursework / group work / presentations?
- Do I need to complete a dissertation or research-based project?
- How does this course help me get a job?
- Does the university have contacts within the industry?
- How do I apply – through Ucas, or via another means (for example, Cukas or directly)?
- What are your top tips when putting together in a portfolio?
- What are you looking for from students during an interview or audition?