Open day questions: history and philosophy students
If you've got a penchant for history or philosophy (or perhaps both), don't head to a university open day without checking through these must-ask questions…
About the course
- How much reading is there each week?
- How many contact hours / lectures are there per week?
- Am I taught research methods?
- How many of my lecturers are still publishing research?
- Do I specialise in a particular period or area, or is it a broad syllabus?
Books and facilities
- What books are necessary for me to buy?
- Do I need to read anything before I start the course?
- Are there enough books for all history students to access easily?
- Can my reading material be found online?
Field trips and placements
- Are there any field trips?
- Can I do a placement year?
- Will companies take on interns from this course?
- Can I take modules in other subjects?
- What is the split between exams / coursework / group work?
- Will I have to do presentations during the course?
- Do I need to complete a dissertation or research-based project?
- Can I move on to a related PhD or Masters after my course? Is there funding for me to do this?
- How could I make the most out this course and get a job at the end of it?