Open day questions: law students
Thinking of studying law at uni? Want to know what questions you should be asking at your open day? Print out this list before you arrive to keep as a handy reminder…
About your course
- Are many of my lecturers also lawyers or barristers?
- Do I need to take particular modules if I want to become a solicitor or a barrister?
- Can I put the skills I learn into practice? Will I get to take part in law clinics or moot courts during my course?
- How is the course taught - in lectures, seminars or smaller groups?
- Is it an accredited course?
Facilities and equipment
- What books do I need to buy?
- Are resources / case law all available online?
- How much reading is there per week?
Placements and work experience
- Are there any law trips (to court for instance)?
- Do I need to arrange work experience during this course?
- What are my chances of securing a training contract straight from this course?
- What is the split between exams / coursework / group projects / presentations?
- Are their any practical assessments? A moot court or clinical practice assessment?
- Do I need to complete a dissertation or research-based project?
Law graduate prospects
- How can I better my chances of getting a training contract at the end of this course?
- How many graduates on my course have gone on to careers in law?
- Does the university have contacts with law firms that I could use?