Open day questions: language students
Doing a language at university means you'll often get the chance to learn about new cultures and live abroad. Use our list of open day questions to help you discover more…
About the course
- Do I need to be fluent in a language before I start this course?
- Is there flexibility in the modules I take, and can I take modules across other courses?
- What books and equipment are necessary for me to buy?
- How much contact time will I have? Do we have 1-2-1s / small seminar groups?
- Can I get extra tuition from my lecturers if I need it?
- Does the course include a year abroad? How much will it cost? Who organises it?
- Do I have to find my own accommodation?
- How fluent in your chosen language are you expected to be after your year abroad?
- What is the split between individual work and group work?
- What has greater weighting – oral exams or coursework?
- Do I need to complete a dissertation or research-based project?
Graduate prospects for world language students
- How does this course help me get a job?
- What have other students from this course done once they’ve graduated?
- Do companies like certain languages more than others?